Service Learning is an integral part of the Nea Community Learning Center.
In an effort to prepare our learners to be stewards of their community, all learners must accomplish a minimum number of community service hours each year according to grade-level.
In addition, we ask that all parents/guardians contribute a minimum of 2 hours per year to the Nea Community. There are plenty of opportunities to get involved whether you have time during the day or night, from your home or at the school. Choose one thing that will work with your schedule.
Download Nea Community Service Log Sheet
- K - 2nd Grade - 4 hours
- 3rd Grade - 6 hours
- 4th Grade - 8 hours
- 5th Grade - 10 hours
- All Upper Village Grades (6th -12th) - 20 hours
Service learning opportunities are shared with learners/families via list-serve, flyers, and through the Nea and facilitator websites.
Service Learning Rules and Requirements:
1. Service learning must positively impact the community, the school, the environment, or a group of people.
2. Service learning should take place outside of school organizations (Green Team, Leadership, Project Lab, etc. are not considered service learning as they are a seminar or elective that is part of the Nea curriculum).
In some cases community service can be done to benefit the school, if the activity goes outside of school hours and pre-approved by a facilitator, or an activity that the facilitator has organized in addition to the Nea curriculum.
- tending the garden
- recycling program
- tutoring other learners
. Service learning must be outside of immediate family (no babysitting younger brother, etc.).
- look for outside organizations, not individual people
- seek non-profit and/or governmental religious organizations that positively impact the community, the school, the environment or a group of people
It is encouraged that students take part in long term (several months) and various short term community service opportunities. 5.
Service learning may be done over the summer or other school breaks. 6.
Students need to fill out the Service Learning Log Sheet
7. Service learning hours are checked by the homeroom/L2L facilitator. They will be recorded in the learner's homeroom on PowerSchool.
8. A reflection must be completed at the end of each project.
9. Parents/Guardians: Please log your Nea volunteer service hours by sending an email with your hours to the PTSA Historian upon completion. They will be added to our overall volunteer hour count for the year.