PLANNING FOR COLLEGE
"Good plans shape good decisions. That's why good planning helps make elusive dreams come true."
The road to college begins far earlier than many people think...
College admissions evaluate applications more and more critically each year. Your college acceptances may depend on coursework from as early as your middle school years—in classes that count toward graduation requirements—and definitely by your 9th-grade year.
Below are important guidelines for middle school and each year of high school to maximize your chance of acceptance and success at the colleges/universities you are interested in.
California State University 6th-10th Grade Recommendations
6TH - 8TH GRADES
- Aim for good grades, especially in English and Math courses.
- Learn a language other than English starting in the 7th grade.
- Explore summer programs that develop your interests and reinforce skills.
- Check into options for saving/paying for college.
- Develop time management and organizational skills.
- Get a head start on community service and extra-curricular activities.
- Attend school workshops on planning for college.
- Meet with your Counselor to plan your high school schedule.
- Develop strong study skills
- Become aware of your school’s course offerings
California State University 11th-12th Grade Recommendations