How to Take College Classes
- Completion of Nea graduation requirements or additional challenging classes
- 1 semester at the community college = 1 year of credit at Nea
- All courses at the college are weighted for 1 extra point on your GPA. An A = 5.0 instead of the traditional 4.0.
- Complete courses that can be transferred to your college or university of choice
> To view which courses are transferable to UC's or CSU's, visit Assist.org
> To start planning classes that will satisfy transfer requirements or general education requirements, please refer to the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) Form. Completion of IGETC satisfies all lower-division general education requirements at most CSU and UC campuses, and at some Independent Colleges and Universities. (Almost all forms will have the same information)
Learners from Nea have taken a wide variety of community college classes, such as:
|• Astronomy||•`Psychology||• Philosophy||• Anthropology|
|• Chemistry||• Microbiology||• Physics||• Calculus I & II|
|• Statistics||• Trigonometry||• Geometry||• English|
|• Creative Writing||• Macroeconomics||• German||• Spanish|
|• Japanese||• Mandarin||• Guitar||• Piano|
|• Art History||• Sociology||• Photography||• Ethnic Studies|
Things to consider:
- Students with C's or higher are eligible to register for classes at the colleges.
- High school students can concurrently enroll at the local Peralta Community College District and have tuition and most fees waived.
- If you are signing up for a college class, you will be responsible for finding and paying for textbooks. You can use a textbook rental service so that you do not have to pay the full price of textbooks. Courses which have an electronic component to their class may require new digital books. Many learners have already taken classes at the college so I recommend asking around before purchasing the book. Many learners donate books to me for previous classes, check out my shelf in my office to see if your book is there and you can borrow it for free.
- If you enroll in over 6 units, you'll be required to pay a Transit/Health fee. This means you'd qualify for an Unlimited AC Transit EasyPass for the semester. For info, click here.
|Peralta Students qualify if they complete the following|
|1. Enrolling in 6 units or more|
- If you drop under 6 units, you no longer qualify for EasyPass and your card will be deactivated
2. Must pay the $40.79 AC Transit EasyPass fee
3. Must have a Peralta student ID card
- Consider taking courses with other learners to have a support system for carpooling, textbooks, and studying. If your family is interested in carpooling, I can help coordinate your connection to other learners interested in a class.
- Please look up reviews for your professors to get an idea of how the class will be run. Many learners use Ratemyprofessor.com
- All classes must not interfere with your core class schedule and should be scheduled after school to avoid conflicts.
- Please email me any requests for a printed transcript.
Enrolling in Peralta Colleges:
Note about sciences: If you're planning on taking a challenging college course for Chemistry or Biology in lieu of taking it here at Nea, you will need to enroll in an Intro to Chem or Intro to Bio class instead of Chem 1A or Bio 1A.
Peralta Academic Calendar - Important Dates & Deadlines
>>>Click Here to Search for Classes
- Register online to enroll as a student. (Note: you will need your social security number. I recommend doing this with your parent/guardian)
Select the correct semester (Spring 2019)Find an open class you are interested in.Please fill out the following:
- For class descriptions, click on the link with the course number or refer to the corresponding College Course Catalog here.
- Please make sure to only sign up for classes that are transferable to UCs/CSUs.
High School Special Enrollment Form and print as a PDF. If you click save, it saves blank and you lose all of your information. (Form is attached below)Email your completed PDF to Ms. Dezaree
—If you are signing up for an English course and you have not taken one previously, once registered, call the Assessment line: 510-748-5267 to schedule an assessment for class placement. For information on Assessments, click here.
Beginning November 1, 2018 new COA students will take the CTEP or the CELSA test to assist with placement into English and ESOL courses.
Special Note: Math placement will be conducted during counseling sessions with assistance from your counselor. College of Alameda will no longer be proctoring math placement tests for enrollment into math courses in alignment with AB705.Ms. Dezaree will complete Enrollment Form and will notify you when it will be available for pick-up.Have your Parent/Guardian sign and approve the course you are requesting.Take signed and completed Enrollment form to College Admissions Office to enroll and/or take placement assessment in person. If you're taking classes at multiple colleges (i.e. College of Alameda and Laney College), you may register for all classes at the same time at any Admissions Office.
If you take an online class, please be sure to check your Peralta account for your Peralta e-mail to receive instructor information for the course's online site.
Additional Community College Options
Learners may also enroll at other community colleges. We have an established system for Peralta because we have partnered with them for years, but we understand other locations may be more convenient for your family. Forms are also attached below.
- Located in Hayward, CA
- 10th, 11th or 12th grade only
- Deadline to submit form is January 7th
- Classes begin January 14th
- Located in Los Altos Hills, CA
- Many of our learners take a Digital Painting class online as an introduction to college classes.
- Foothill College is on the Quarter System. This is the last opportunity for Seniors who wish to have a course on their final transcript for Nea's graduation requirement.
- Classes begin January 7th
Please email me if you have any questions or concerns. Schedule an appointment for an Academic Check-in with me if you need support. I will be here after school every day except Fridays.